Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Creative Pursuits.....Do you have more than one?

I really didn't realize until I was well into adulthood that I had a creative soul. Looking back, there were signs......I grew up being a student of music, loving to write and draw, taking sewing lessons, etc. But then, came college, and I was always very serious, a perfectionist, wanting to do over that 100%. I let my creative interests slide.

Today, I'm back in full swing and lucky that I have time for my creative endeavors. If I day goes by and I don't do something creative I feel stagnated and become somewhat crabby! So, I am careful to carve out some "me" time to work on my beaded jewelry creations. (look up my work at my etsy shop at the following address; http://carolsjewelryorchard.etsy.com )

Do you have more than one creative pursuit? I do. I love photography, creative writing, interior decorating, developing curriculum and projects for the garden club I run for children, and recently knitting! I'm almost finished with a scarf I started three winters ago!!! Obviously, the knitting is not one of my favorite creative interests. Next to making beaded jewelry, my favorite alternative creative pursuit is photography. I love taking pictures of landscapes and nature (flowers and butterflies, in particular).

One morning last week, the creative juices just weren't flowing for my jewelry making. Luckily, I ususally know this within 15 minutes of starting at my work station. And I've learned to get up and walk away, rather than push through it.
We had just had a beautiful new snow fall over night and it was a foggy, cold winter morning here in the mid-west. So, I grabbed my camera, bundled up, and went out to our yard to take some "frosty flower" pictures and pictures of the valley behind us.
I spent about 45 minutes out in this winter wonderland and came in, sure I had gotten some great pictures and definitely, refreshed.

I think that is what is most important about having more than one creative pursuit. When you need a break, feel bored, or creativity is not happening in one particular area; you can temporarily turn your interests elsewhere! If you don't have more than one creative interest, I highly recommend that you develop one! I think you'll soon see that it has benefits!

A couple of my photographs are listed in my jewelry shop. Currently, I'm just listing one per month. After all, it is a jewelry shop, but you can check them out! Found to the right of this post is one of my favorite from my winter walk last week!
Enjoy!

And for those that read my post last week; all is well with my order from the poor speller. The poor spelling certainly was NOT an indication of the quality of products! I'm relieved!

2 comments:

  1. I think most creative people love to work with other hobbies or skills. I used to love crocheting, knitting and writing but I don't have the time. I think my new creative outlet is blogging. LOL Your shop is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, intersting post! I feel that most creative people enjoy many different interests ... so long as those creative juices are flowing out! :) I love photography and music too, anything that inspires me really. I would love to see some of those photos you took after the snow fall here ... the last time I saw snow was when I was five years old, many moons ago, haha! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete