Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Rainforest and Renewal

You probably guessed by my shop name; Carol's Jewelry Orchard, that I like to garden!

Well, I do! One of my most rewarding experiences in the last several years has been to teach elementary aged children about the natural world. I am a self-taught naturalist and conservationist, as well as being a Certified Master Gardener. I run a garden club for elementary aged students and have taught many of these students how to raise monarch butterflies, monarch habitat conservation, and how having a butterfly garden helps our environment. This is only a small part of the topics I explore each year with these school children. It is wonderful to be sharing in their amazement, as I help them explore our natural world. So often, as adults, we forget to "stop and smell the roses" or "notice the butterflies", as it applies here.

This week we are embarking on a new unit. We will be learning about the Tropical Rainforest. As I've done my research for this topic, I am captivated by the wealth of information both known and unknown about this part of our world. I was inspired to teach a unit on the rainforest after my recent trip to Maui. The rainforest there is beautiful. Definitely heaven for a plant lover!

Conducting this club helps to inspire my jewelry making as it offers me a chance to gather inspiration from the natural world and gather enthusiasm from the young students in learning something awesome and totally new! I'm in the process of wanting to learn some new techniques for my jewelry creations. Obviously, we don't always feel like learning something new but spring is coming and that is certainly a time of renewel....of our natural world and possibly our creative spirit. I strive to be like the young children in my garden club; enthusiastic, determined, awestruck, adventuresome, persevering, and definitely willing to learn new things!

Check out the pictures of the bamboo in the rainforest on Maui from my trip. And don't forget; I'm having a Buy One Get One 50% off sale all month in my etsy shop at;
http://carolsjewelryorchard.etsy.com
There are also a special section of earrings for only $2.80 each pair! Come and visit today!

3 comments:

  1. I love plants, the freshness esp. I'm a terrible gardner, I can't keep much alive for long. That bamboo is stunning! I esp love bamboo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature is the master muse, she has inspired many artists from the primitive cave dwellers who painted murals of animals upon the cavern walls to modern day man. The amazing thing is that nature never becomes stagnant or boring, it's everywhere you look and it's always fresh, new and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find nature inspiring in all aspects of life!

    ReplyDelete