Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Time for Reading!

Time for school......Time for Reading!

The start of the school year is almost upon us here in Wisconsin. I know that in other parts of the country, children have already returned to their desks. It brings to mind how very, very important reading is! I love to read. I love to learn. My children don't get too much of a break over the summer as I keep them "tuned up" with various worksheets on math and language arts. However, I feel strongly that the most important thing on can do for one's child is to read to them or read with them. Every child needs this every day. One must make time to do it!

All of my children are readers. We try to read to each other daily. Over the summer, we have read some excellent children's novels. These have included; Esperanza Rising, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Charley Skedaddle, Cricket in Times Square, The Lemonade Trick, and Stuart Little. There have been others, too. Those are the most memorable. The books are memorable because of their stories being captivating. They are memorable because in reading them; they embody time spend with my children.

Some of the stories take place in a different time. Charlie Skedaddle takes place during the civil war. Esperanza Rising takes place in the 20th century but unfolds a tale of Mexican immigrants and the struggle one young girl makes with her "new " life here in America. Island of the Blue Dolphins is a beautiful story about a young girl in the South Pacific that has to learn to survive on her own for most so of her life on a deserted island. I was shocked to learn at the end of this story that it represents the story of Robinson Crusoe. Of course, Stuart Little is a classic children's tale by E.B. White. We really enjoyed how different the whole novel seemed from the movies about this character. Cricket in Times Square is aptly named for the events in that book. And the Lemonade Trick is a delightful story about a young boy, a magic set, and what you can accomplish if the "magic" turns out to be real! It is a fun and entertaining read.

Above all the books give you a chance, as a parent, grandparent, or caregiver to talk about life issues, the struggles or joys one encounters in life, how people's lives were different during different times in our history, and reinforce the values that are important to you as a family.

I ran into one of our favorite teachers in the mall last week. I have done a book club for her for the last 2 years and did one some years ago, also. I was absolutely thrilled when she asked if I wanted to do the book club again, this year! I most certainly will do this! I love to read! I love to help children learn to read and understand what they are reading! I gives me a sense of contribution and satisfaction to have such an important role in the development of such an important life skill............reading!

Read to your child......grandchild........or any child.............daily!

Thanks and have a great week! Carol

I have some wonderful pewter beaded bookmarks in my shop.
These make great teacher presents! Please come and check them out! http://carolsjewelryorchard.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment