Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall is time for planting Spring Bulbs!

We have had just a beautiful October here in Western Wisconsin. In fact, we could use a little rain! After a very wet summer, I am surprised I am saying that! But it's true.

The great weather has allowed us to get many things done outside in our yard in some very comfortable temperatures. In an earlier post, I told of a couple new garden beds at the end of our new driveway where I planted bulbs and mums. We had another area near the end of the driveway that we put a new bed because we were having a hard time getting new grass to grow.

So, on a recent, beautifully warm, October day I planted more spring bulbs. This garden will be pink and white! It will have a mix of crocus, hyacinths, tulips, and asiatic lilies. It should be gorgeous come next April/May! The planting of the pink and white was a spur of the moment decision. I'm not sure what exactly prompted it. It could be that October is Breast Cancer awareness month. It could be that my Mom just had a breast biopsy. Thankfully, she is fine.
It could be that I've always wanted to do a theme garden and never have! It just could be as simple as liking pink and white! I'll be sure to post some pictures next spring! I can't wait to see the results!

Do you know why you spring bulbs in the fall? Bulbs are food storage systems. These particular plants need the cold winter months to grow roots. When the time is right, in the spring, the plants sleeping inside these bulb "packages" will awaken and provide us with their encouraging beauty at a time we all need renewal. The tunic or paper like covering on the outside of a bulb, helps to protect it. The plant itself is deep within. The basal plate, found at the bottom of the bulb, provides the stability the plant needs and will be the source of newly growing roots. Spring bulbs are some of my favorite plants! You can plant bulbs right up until the ground is frozen! So, head over to your local home/garden store and get a few bulbs! You'll be glad you did next Spring!

This is a great time to remind you that I am hosting my first blog giveaway! It is in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and is a pink fused glass pendant necklace, surrounded by Swarovski crystals. It is a one of a kind creation. Enter today! To learn how to enter, just read the next post here on my blog! It is simple! I hope you enter! Good luck to all!

2 comments:

  1. Great Post! I have just finished planting my spring bulbs too.
    Blessings to you and your Mum ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking for error problems with comment leaving....thanks.

    ReplyDelete