Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Homecoming.............A time to remember!

Usually, I am a person that lives in the present and looks to the future. I am also very goal oriented. It is rare for me to look back, for I am always moving forward. However, this weekend presented a rare occasion to do just that! It was Homecoming Weekend for our local High School. What a busy weekend it was, too!

It all starts with the prep, earlier in the week; the floats are being built at the various schools, including the elementary schools, the band is practicing for the parade and field show during half time at the football game, special t-shirts are ordered, dates are made, corsages are ordered and the whole community seems to get in the festive Homecoming mood.

What really helped this year was the weather! It was about 85 degrees here in Western Wisconsin! What a gorgeous fall day we had! In fact, the entire weekend was sunny and down right HOT!

I wasn't going to the parade this year, as I had seen it before and didn't feel I needed to see it again. BUT, my middle child joined the choir this year and it was his first chance to walk in the parade AND my high schooler was marching with the band! So, at the last minute, I decided to go. I had errands to run and decided that my kids are only young once and I should enjoy seeing them participate in school activities. I'm glad I went. I enjoyed it and got some great pictures.

Friday night proceeded with the festivities of the game, half time show, and dance! Many milestones were being past this weekend........My son had a "real" date and since he recently got his driver's license was able to pick her up and go to the dance; without a chauffeur! I missed out on pictures of course, but in the digital age; we had these by Saturday afternoon from his "group of friends".

This was all fun and exciting but the biggest impetus for me to look back this weekend was that the high school year books were distributed. Last night, I finally got a chance to sit down and look at a modern day year book, in full color, no less! What a great keepsake! And after carefully looking at the 2010 yearbook; out came all four of mine! I won't tell you the years.....but high school was many, many years ago for me! I had a great time reading the notes from former friends, remembering little things that I had since forgotten in my forward moving life, and thinking about "way back when".

As I said, I don't do it often, but I did look back last night! It was fun. I was able to share some of the pictures and stories from my high school days with my high schooler. He might have a better idea of who I am and who I was! It is readily evident that I was teased a lot and had fun in band.....just like him! So, although I don't look back often, I am sure glad I did on this Homecoming Weekend 2010!

Have a great Sunday~
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment