Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thomas Jefferson....The Gardener.

Good Wednesday Morning! This is my second post of the day! Be sure to check out my Select Item Sale Featured Item that I posted earlier!

Now, for my Wednesday post. Today, I'd like to talk about Thomas Jefferson. It seems apropos to do so, since President's Day was this week. Over the last couple of years I have done a lot of reading about our founding fathers; specifically, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. I find myself fascinated by these two men, their lives, and their friendship.

One of the things I find most fascinating is that they were both gardeners! Now, being a gardener myself....a master gardener volunteer, in fact; I am interested in how they gardened and the plants they choose to grow. So, last holiday season I had found a book on Amazon called Jefferson's Garden by Peter Loewer (2004). I asked for it as a present from my mom. Well, it was out of stock. She, however, always trying to please, sent me money to buy the book when it came back in stock. I just did that and got the book yesterday! ( I love how you can save things in your amazon cart)!

Like a vulture, waiting a warm meal; I dove into this book last night. Although I haven't gotten very far, I have already learned several things. The book starts by talking about the importance of seeds in America; where they came from and how the big seed companies got started! The book implies that Jefferson, among other men, were instrumental in bringing seeds to America (remember, he travelled often to Europe) and saving certain varieties for proliferation here.

Now, I have done a lot with seeds over my course as a gardener. I've planted many, saved a few, and most importantly taught school aged children about their contents (a baby plant) and germination! Thanks to this new book, I'll have a new appreciation for seeds and perhaps a new story to tell my garden club students! After all, we all know who Thomas Jefferson was....President, Statesman, Author, Patriot, Founding Father ........and Gardener!

I can't wait to read more!
Thanks for stopping by for my Wednesday post!
Carol

23 comments:

  1. That was such a nice article. I wish I had even a semi green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I have a total black thumb.

    But I love Thomas Jefferson. He is my favorite president! My top 3 are Thomas Jefferson, Ronald Reagan, and Calvin Coolidge. Such amazing leaders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know that about Thomas Jefferson! Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I love how one can learn so much by reading blogs from fellow Etsians :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting for the snow to melt to start working in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, I learnt new things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a cool book! Happy gardening! I hope to plant some vegetables this year!



    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great background! I can't wait to get out into my garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to gardening this year myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love american history and early american leaders/the founding fathers. super interesting men!

    lioneyedgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing...Spring is right around the corner. Can't wait to start gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, I will back for next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful post - waiting for the smell of springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be an avid gardener, and am hoping to finally get back into it this year. That sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great piece of information! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you might consider posting a tidbit from the book every so often. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to hear more about the book as you read on. Gardening is a lovely use of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Carol - I didn't know that Thomas Jefferson was a Gardener! COOL! I can't wait to hear what else you read in your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You would enjoy seeing his garden, which is still maintained at Monticello, in Charlottesville, VA. Another great presidential to see is Mt. Vernon, George Washington's home. I liked his garden the best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, all for posting! I have never visited presidential gardens but have been to Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania 2-3 times.

    I love it there. Very extensive gardens dating back to the DuPont Family of Delaware/Brandywine Valley. A wonderful place to visit, if you love gardens.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete