Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Word Lover!!!

Good morning!

Today my post is on being a word lover! I love words! Maybe that is kind of unusual, I don't really know! I do know that I've always been this way! In most things that I do, I try to pass on my love of words.

"What do I do that shows I love words", you ask? Here are some;

I love to write; my blog has really helped this past time for me! I have always wanted to have something published and have written numerous articles, editorials, letters, tutorials, and even started some children's stories. I know that to become a better writer, you must write every day! While I'm not up to every day, my blog posts help me to do that several times a week!

I pass on my knowledge of words and language to my children and to the children I see at school. Just the other day, my teenager called me a "walking thesaurus" when I suggested a phrase for his forensics speech! I took this as an odd compliment....maybe he was really being smart-mouthed with me! In garden club, with second to fifth graders, each month I try to provide a multi-levelled lesson, complete with new vocabulary for those that "have a need to know". I know....I was one of those children, a long time ago! When I see my first grade book club, once a week, we talk about words and how strange they are; to, too, and two; who knew they could all be so different? And how about homophones and homonyms? This week in my third grade writer's circle, we will be starting poetry! The third graders are smart and most working above their grade level. Our concentration there will be on making wise word choices to make our poetry descriptive and aesthetically pleasing to the ear.

I am fascinated by our language and the decoding process. Some children learn that so quickly, while some never seem to be able to unlock the key to all the codes. I recently started to substitute teach for ESL (English as a Second Language). Our community has a large Hmong population. I really enjoy this! It is enlightening to me to be able to try and describe a word and its meaning and/or use in English. I recently joined Merriam Webster's word of the day. This word is automatically e-mailed to me and there is even a pod-cast link for the word! It helps that the pod-caster has a very nice, deep, soothing voice!

Now, you are thinking; "well she probably has some college degree in language arts". I don't. However, I did take Latin in high school (a very long time ago) and have a medical/nursing background. Although, I'm not sure which came first with either of those; the love of words or the necessary immersion in the discipline. Surprisingly enough, I do not speak another language. However, have been thinking about learning one!

In any case, I know I am a logophile. And that is my word for the day as I had to look it up this morning! I did not know what a lover of words was called! Now, I do.

Thanks for tuning in! Please visit my other blog on my jewelry website;
I posted there about my newest creations! Just click on Carol's Blog on the menu.

Have a Sunny Day!
~Carol~


19 comments:

  1. All I know is I am gald for google so we can look up words quickly!

    As I read your post I am reminded of the teacher's in grade school telling children who did not know how to spell a word to "look it up" and their response was always "How can I look it up if I can't spell it!?!" LOL Think of the new words they discovered while they were searching Webster!


    I have a new giveaway on my blog. I hope you'll stop by and enter, if you haven't already!

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate what you are trying to do. So many people take verbal shortcuts or use too much slang these days! I should follow your example and try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cool blog article! As and english major and current law student, I understand your love of words! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post...I have a great appreciation for the written word myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom passed on a love of words to me ... now I've passed it on to my son. He uses his expansive vocabulary in a way that's hilarious, and he is so much fun to be around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Logophile is one of my favorite words! Word geeks unite! I love finding old words that aren't used anymore... weird words. My neighbor was going to a fancy shmancy wine tasting and wanted to know words to describe the wine. I told him to throw out the word jumentous and see what kind of reaction he got. No one knew it... and now it's our joke :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very inspiring... That is so great that you keep that "old word" going. I am English challenged and I always say that if you learn one word a day, it will be 365 a year... and I try do that, learn new words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. without words we would miss many books - for the love of books!!! our family can't live without them
    great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet your blog and your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the love words and love you lovely jewelry too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Those are a lucky bunch of kids to have you teaching them new words and the love of words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's definitely helpful to be a walking thesaurus, especially when coming up with names and tags for your items! As for me, I rely on the good old real thesaurus :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that was an interesting read. Thanks for the new word today!!!

    ReplyDelete