Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What's in the name?

In my blog post this week for our Promotional Frenzy Team on Etsy, I had many ideas about which to write! It was actually hard to decide. So, I made a list!

I had a thought some weeks ago, as I was listing a newly created piece of jewelry for my shop about the names we choose for our creations. I am somewhat fickle about naming my pieces.
Sometimes, I do and sometimes, I don't!

Many times, I'll just title the piece with descriptive words about color or type of components used.....you know, Blue Swarovski and Sterling Silver Bracelet....something like that.

Other times, and I'm not quite sure what spurs me on to do it, I think of a specific name for a new piece of jewelry. I usually don't think too hard. It just comes to me! I've named a few pairs of earrings after women. Some are actual women or girls I know, others are fictional.

Swinging Josie
Classic Ruth
Lovely Lauren

I've also been known to name creations after places; if the place stimulated me to create the jewelry or I bought the beads during a particular trip. I was really inspired by a trip to Maui, last year......its inspiration (even before I went) led me to create my Ocean themed paua shell pendant/charm necklaces. These have proved popular for me! Is it the name, the piece, or a combination of the two?

Most recently, I've been creating altered art photographic charm bracelets. These are all based on places I've travelled to and photographed. I use my photographs in the charms. Of course the place travelled to, earns a name in the bracelet;

Hawaii/Maui
Bermuda
American Landmarks, Mt. Rushmore, Independence Hall

One of the funniest pieces I've named has been called The Green Flash. I've written about this piece before, if you look back through my blog posts. This particular piece caused me quite a bit of creative strife. I put it together and did not like it, so I took it apart and tried again 2 or 3 times with different beads. Finally, I had a creation I liked and the name just popped into my head! The Green Flash is an optical phenomenon that occurs just before sundown. It is fleeting and vibrant. Needless to say, this piece sold to someone who knows what The Green Flash is!

So, how do you name your pieces? Do you name them all or just some? I have recently been working on my SEO and adjusting my listings. I'm not sure whether naming a piece helps or hurts! After all, who looks for Classic Ruth Earrings or the Orange Sunrise on Haleakala Volcano Necklace? And if you buy components for your creations, are those components named? How many names does a piece have by the time it's finished?

Well, I just thought I'd ask What's in the name?
The answer is probably different for each of us!
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
~Carol~


Oh, and don't forget to check my shop and here on my blog for the last few days of my select item sale featured piece. Today it is a wonderful, one of a kind, spring floral lanyard for only $19.50! http://www.etsy.com/listing/67621612/select-item-sale-spring-flowers-lanyard

22 comments:

  1. Being in Supplys kinda makes it easy for me. The jewelry is harder, depends on my mood and what inspired the piece. Great post. Glad to have you in The Promotional Frenzy Team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your post, and I love the clasp you used in the photograph you featured!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your naming ideas. I get inspiration from the scents I use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m really bad at naming, so this post is really inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, I have wondered if it is better to have a fun name or a description. I more often fall back on the description...it's just easier. I wonder what the customers prefer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think naming this is fine as long as in your description, tags, and body of text you use REAL ITEM tags. For example a necklace named "Princess Jasmine" should use tags like: necklace, silver, sterling, gemstone, etc....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Official names for Etsy are difficult for me, but every piece has a nickname while I'm working on it - sometimes good, sometimes bad - what can I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Questions. I love your names and I think it makes your pieces sound more original and more thoughtful. It also shows your personality. I would think a buyer would like this. SEO is a big thing and I am still learning. I wonder if you describe it first then put the title it would help with SEO. Galla knows all about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Left comments on most here! Thanks everyone. Will be back to do more later! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never thought about naming my items! It's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just been using the colors and materials. I like your travel photographs altered art piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm bad at names, but try to give each photograph one of some sort

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the creative names better than descriptive names, it makes them more interesting. Etsy used to promote this until they realized that it made our items harder to find in search engines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, my names are inspired from colors, scents, things in nature.
    Here is the link to the revolving world map, it is a free app :)
    http://www.revolvermaps.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually don't name my pieces. For search engine exposure it is best to use keywords. How many people will search for the specific name of your pieces? BUT with that said names can really give your pieces a more personal touch. I think it is great how you come up with your names!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never name my items but then it is hard to name a bib or potholder. But for jewelry I think it is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute names! They do bring to mind the type of feel you're going for in your jewelry. That's how I name my jewelry as well, by the feeling/etc that it evokes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know that some designers give names to their pieces and use them in their listings. I name my pieces sometimes, too. I should try to do that more often, I think it gives personality to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love naming the jewelry I sell... tiger lily's lagoon was my favorite name ever

    Its wonderful you are inspired so much and extend that into the name of your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Depends on my mood when I'm listing the item I think! Sometimes I use fairly descritive title and other times a little more fun. I'm working on becoming more consistant with this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I only name my books after what kind of technic I used and the colours and such. Thought it feels a bit boring now after reading your post. :p

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your names are very creative- thanks for a very inspiring post! I will definitely think more about my names :0)

    ReplyDelete