Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Workspace......better than ever!





I forgot that our blog frenzy posts were to be on sharing about our workspace this week and prepared to write about chicken wings! Oh, well.....Another day, another post!

My workspace has evolved over the seven years I have been making handcrafted jewelry! Part of the evolution was necessary as we moved into a different house almost four years ago.

When I started jewelry making, I had a small 4x4 foot table in our walk-in closet of our Master Bedroom. The closet was a space for myself, and peaceful, away from my then, young, children but it also did not have any windows and poor lighting. However, I was able to make several nice pieces in that closet and begin selling on consignment.

Eventually, I found that I needed to have some better lighting with which to make my handcrafted jewelry! I made myself a workspace at our dining room, that had an East facing window. Yes, the light was better but the dining room was open on two sides; one to our foyer and one to the hallway to the powder room on the main level of our colonial style home. So, my problem there became being out in the open. If I didn't complete a project in one sitting, I had to leave all of my supplies, tools, and beads out. My workspace was there for all to see (good and bad) when you entered my home! Being a compulsively neat and somewhat private person, this bothered me! I felt like I was leaving a mess behind (albeit, a creative mess) every time I left the work station.

Almost four years ago, we moved into a different house. This house had a large lower level with many windows.........lots of natural light. It also had a bedroom, tucked away in the back (without windows) that I immediately thought would be a great workspace because I knew I could shut the door and keep my mess to myself, but be able to return to a project. I must have forgotten about the need for light, as I claimed this spot for my jewelry making! Well, the workspace never got started there. I did use the room for storage of my supplies, but began to use the old dining room table that was now in front of the many windows (again facing east) in our lower level. I love working in the natural light. However, even though my work was not visible to all upon enter into my house, it was visible immediately upon coming down the stairs to the lower level! Again, I was left with feeling I was leaving a mess!

It was actually my husband who noticed that we had a large built in bar area (used as a full, in-law kitchen when the first owners lived here) that was going to waste. There were numerous cupboards, a large counter top, room for storage, electrical outlets, and even a sink! The counter top sits below and behind the actual bar top, so I can leave my work out but no one actually sees it because it is behind the bar! There is overhead lighting and the workspace is in the same area as our evening family TV viewing area. So, I can be with everyone, if I choose to create while watching a show! It is also very private, during the day, when I can become lost in my work or blast some music that only I seem to appreciate!

This unused bar area (well, I have been known to have a glass of wine there), has been my workstation for about two years now! I love it. It is messy (a little). I can leave my projects out
(I always have one in progress). And it has lent itself to the creation of many beautiful, one of a kind pieces!

So, there you have it! If you have an unused bar area in your home, I highly recommend converting it to a hobby/workstation area! It has worked incredibly well for my creations from Carol's Jewelry Orchard! Please visit my etsy site at; http://carolsjewelryorchard.etsy.com to see some of these creations!

If I have your name to the right on my blog, please add my name to your Promotional Frenzy Team list on yours. I am still working on adding all team members names. You do not feel like you need to add me, until I have added yours! Thanks.

Happy Creating!
~Carol~

P.S. I am going to try and take a few pictures, so if you read this before they are posted, please feel free to stop back and see the pictures! Obviously, the pictures of my chicken wings don't fit the subject today! :)



22 comments:

  1. I loved seeing how your workspace has changed over the years! I can only hope that I can eventually find a space that REALLY works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, area sounds great but where the pictures.....lol...we want to see your mess too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the bar area to use! That would be a perfect space :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't know. You could use the chicken wing pictures and claim artistic license. Love the bar concept as long as you are able to sit while working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, please, add me to your list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great Carol, such a nice story and beautiful jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting tale, glad everything has come together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to the unfinished projects and I have cats that are into everything.

    Great explanation; hope to see pictures of this great space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post..where are your pics?! Don't be shy with this group;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol, I think the glass of wine while at your work space should be a requirement! It's only right!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here are the pics, guys! Thanks for all the comments! I'm off to read yours....oh, and grab that glass of wine, Leah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I always have unfinished projects. I usually have like 10 projects going at the same time. Maybe ADD ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Lots of space! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the uniqueness of your work space! I'd like to see some pictures of your chicken wings as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one amazing work space. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a perfect workspace Carol! I bet you love this room! I'm hoping to get mine reorganized by this weekend. Great post, and great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bar is a great idea and yep it's great it's still inviting for a glass of wine!;)I love your items, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful! I dream of having a space like this someday. Lucky you! ;) It's fantastic that it led to the creation of so many beautiful things. Again, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this! I really like your work space! That's really awesome! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! I was recently house hunting and one house had a second smaller kitchen downstairs and I thought it would make a great studio. All those cabinets are just calling for supplies to be organized in them.

    ReplyDelete