Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Wings.....not in Wisconsin!




Hello! My in-laws from Western New York just left today after a five day stay! Whew! I had to enjoy a very large glass of wine to celebrate. Don't get me wrong! I love them and am glad they visited.

It was a good visit, as visits go, but I am glad to have the house back to ourselves. The quietness my husband and I enjoyed today was well deserved. It gave me some time to think about what to post for the Promotional Frenzy Blog Forum Thread tomorrow! (hold on....before I write anymore, I need to go check and make sure there isn't a theme posted for our listings......). Okay, after a cursory look, I didn't see anything posted.

Since my relatives that just left are from Buffalo, New York, I thought I would post about chicken wings!!

Having grown up in Western New York, my husband and I are fans of the World-over favorite snack or meal known as Buffalo Chicken Wings! For those of you who don't know, the chicken wings than have become famous and favorites of millions were invented in a Buffalo, New York bar called The Anchor Bar. Now, Anchor Bar wings are good, hmmmm, even great; but there are other places in Buffalo that we frequented for our wings. The most favorite place we had for wings was a place called Duffs. Great wings. No ambiance. But, who needs it when you can get your wings, hot and made to order from mild to suicidal, served with a cold beer! Believe me, there is no need for ambiance when your taste buds are satisfied!

So, we love wings.....So, do millions of other people! So what???, You ask???? Well, the problem is that we don't live in Western New York anymore! And there in lies the rub! Wings in the mid-west are just not the same as in Western New York. Something about the recipe, degree of crispness, and taste is just not right! We know. We've been searching for adequate wings for over 10 years in Wisconsin. We are still coming up less than satisfied. We've tried countless recipes I've found on the web (even one from the anchor bar) and countless restaurants. The best we've come up with for close wing satisfaction is the following;

Buy a fry-daddy......and use it for your wings! Baked wings or grilled wings just aren't quite right!

Buy wing sauce, bottled by the anchor bar in Buffalo and sold by Wegman's supermarkets, to coat the cooked wings with the sauce. Keep warm in the oven while you cook more wings or eat immediately and keep cooking!

Delicious!

The biggest problem we've had with wings is that they just aren't cooked right. A true Buffalo wing has been deep fried and tossed with hot sauce. There is just no other way to do it! Even the restaurant that name's itself after these chicken snacks, doesn't have it quite right in our opinion. We know. We have one of these restaurants here, in Wisconsin.

The one place we do go to is Duffs, for wings, about every other year, when we get back to Western New York! A lot of things might be said about Buffalo, but one thing is true: they have great food in that city! And it gives us something to look forward to when we visit....a favorite food, we just can't seem to get just right, anyplace else!

Buffalo Chicken Wings......Mmmmm! Mmmmm! Good!

Cheers and Thanks for stopping by!
Carol


16 comments:

  1. lol I love your post. and now you have made me more hungry. and youre right, wisonsin doesnt have good wings. i go up to hayward ever year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good although I am not a chicken wing fan my family is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love chicken wings too!
    Totally understand about having the house to yourself. Both our boys were out of the house for 4 months, then back. It was so quiet while they were gone and the grocery bill was about a 1/4 of what it is now that they are back. Luckily one moved out again on Sunday, not sure about the other one, but at least he's gone during the day :) Love my boys - but also really love the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post and your whole blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy!!! Company is great...but when you are use to the house to yourselves it seems sooo crowded and the quiet is certainly enjoyed when all leave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 9AM, but suddenly, Buffalo Chicken Wings sounds like the perfect breakfast food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can definitely relate! My parents and in-laws definitely make me drink more. LOL.

    The wings look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just had dinner and now you got me hungry! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well now I'm hungry...thanks. ;)
    We were going to try a new wing place in town, but now I know I"m going to be overly critical before I even try them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like you had some fun days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoyed this cooking and eating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, I too agree that wings need to be fried and then tossed. It's the only way to do them right. There are a few good places in Connecticut where I use to live that make them perfect....haven't found them in Rhode Island yet.

    Nothing like good wings, beer...and then a salad. LOL. Always makes my stomach feel better after.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, you made me want to give wings a second chance. I have got to be the only person who doesn't like wings, but you might make me change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made wings on Sunday... The boys love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So Yummy!! I love to go also to Buffalo wild wings to eat my favorite boneless wings

    ReplyDelete