Capitol City Visit

Capitol City Visit
Madison Wisconsin

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011



Memorial Day 2011


For the last three years, we have started Memorial Day with attending the memorial day parade in our small Wisconsin town. It is short. It is sweet. It is for the Veterans that have served our country so well to keep us all free.

We started going to this parade due to my oldest child becoming involved in band. Both the middle school and high school bands march in this parade. It is the very first parade of the parade season and patriotic music is played. Usually, not a lot of preparation goes into this, but they always manage to sound and look good. It is a bittersweet parade for our senior high school band students have already graduated when they march in this parade on Memorial Day Monday. Today, I saw many of those seniors march in their high school colors for the last time. It is somewhat sad.

Yet, this is fitting for Memorial Day, isn't it? It is a somewhat sad and somber occasion. We go to the parade as a family to honor those still living and those soldiers who have passed away in service to our country. For me, I will probably start my memorial day each year this way as long as I live in this small Wisconsin town, long after I don't have anyone marching in the bands. After I've thanked the veterans by attending and by putting my hand over my heart as they walk by with our flag, I can feel free to enjoy my day.

Picnics, gardening, the start of summer......enjoy it all, just don't forget those that keep us free. We owe them so much!

Today, as we were leaving the parade, a veteran was walking up the street with a handful of little flags. He stopped and gave us each one. I was honored to be able to look in his face and say, "Thank you for your service". It made me feel good to say it and I hope I made him feel good in that I recognized his great contribution to our country!

Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your Memorial Day!
Carol

20 comments:

  1. What a poignant reminder, give thanks everyone, our freedom has come at a high price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely, poignant post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid, we lived in a small town on the tip of Long Island. Every year, they'd have a Memorial Day parade, and we girl scouts carried our banner and our flags along with the fire department and really anyone who wanted to walk with us!

    My father was the chaplain in the volunteer fire department, and every year he'd pray for the men and women who had died protecting our country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. uniquecozytreasures - Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only we could thank each of them individually! How wonderful it must have made him feel to hear that! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have got to remember the "reason for the season" so to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, really cool! I wish something like that happened in our town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We owe a debt we will never be able to repay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. There is so much that should be done for our veterans. More than any one can ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for taking the time to write this blog to remind us all to say thank you to our Veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Whenever I see a service person in uniform, I try to make it a point to go up to them and Thank them for their service! It does feel great and we remain free due to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was telling someone yesterday that I got a chance to thank a delightful serviceman (airforce pilot of C7s in Afganistan) on the golf course Monday. Great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My idea of a good parade, short and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your post! When I lived in Arlington, TX, I used to go to the 4th of July Parade. It's such a wonderful feeling to participate in events that are patriotic - hot! but uplifting!

    ReplyDelete